What is Procrastination?
Understanding, Recognising and know how to deal with procrastination.
The simplified definition of procrastination; is delaying or putting off tasks until the last minute or past their deadline, which can negatively affect your well-being physically, mentally and financially if left to carry on.
A little bit of procrastination is OK, as long as it doesn’t start impacting your life. I was procrastinating earlier, and as you can see, I have taken advantage of it and written about the experience.
Whether you’re putting off finishing a project for work or ignoring household chores, think before you do this. What is the impact it will have if you put it off till tomorrow, next week or next month? If you do put off doing something, will it get done? Does it need to be done? Are you going to be negatively affected if you don't complete whatever you are meant to be doing?
Procrastination can have a significant detrimental impact on your life, so knowing the signs and how to deal with it before it does affect you is essential. The art of procrastination stops many from achieving goals and having the life that is wanted.
So what causes procrastination?
- Not knowing what needs to be done
- Not knowing how to do something
- Not wanting to do something
- Not caring if it gets done or not
- Not being bothered about sticking to deadlines
- Not feeling in the mood to do it
- Being in the habit of waiting until the last minute
- Lacking the initiative to get started
- Blaming sickness or poor health
- Waiting for the right moment
- Needing time to think about the task
- Delaying one task in favour of working on another
Tips for Procrastinators:
- Make a to-do list: To help keep you on track, consider placing a due date next to each item.
- Be Proactive: If you don’t know how to do something, learn how to.
- Take baby steps: Break down the…